Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#856 - 12/29/2005 08:59 AM Problems with Transfer Credits
bcs2565 Offline

This is mostly a question, but a partial vent too...

I graduated from college in 2003 with a BA in Communication Studies (and outstanding grades). After a couple years in the field, I decided it wasn't as wonderful as I was hoping. I am now going back to school in a couple of weeks at a private art school in Miami to get a second bachelor's degree in interior design. Tuition is very expensive - about $395 per credit.

This is a very small school - about 1,500 students - and their policy to transfer credits is that they must offer the class if you want it to transfer. The problem with this is, my fisrt University offered a lot more diversity of offerings than this tiny one does. Out of my 4.5 years, only 9 classes transferred. I appealed this decision, saying that at least 6 more should transfer since the course descriptions very closely match between the two schools. Well, I just found out that they are not accepting any of the 6 classes. One of them is a basic communications class - I have a degree in that for goodness sake!!!!!!! All the classes that they want me to take have absolutely no relevance to the degree at all. Basically, I'm being punished because my first University offered a more diversified list of courses. These 6 classes add up to about $12,000. I have a call into the Dean of Admissions to try to appeal his decision on this. I feel like they are just trying to take me for a ride and squeeze every dime out of me that they can. This should be illegal! If you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited University, all your basic classes should be waived.

I am already getting financial aid, but it only pays about 1/3 of the tuition. I'm assuming that it's because I've been working for the past couple of years, and so that income has greatly effected my chances to have tuition completely covered.

Anyone have any advice for me? Have you been through the same thing?? PLEASE HELP!!!

#857 - 12/29/2005 14:00 PM Re: Problems with Transfer Credits
bronxite Offline

Loc: NYC
I had the same problem on entering a TOP private university in NYC. The dean told me point blank that all my previous transfer credits were "worthless". He made it known to me that I have to do introductory courses in the field I had already mastered at another college (40 accounting credits). After speaking to other students I realized that this man has done this to other students. So I wrote a letter to his superior ( which I knew would never amount to anything). My only option was to transfer to another college of the same university that accepted my credits as "electives". Still, I had a similar problem with the Dean of Admissions who continued to constantly find "issues" with my previous qualifications. In all, my advice to you IS NEVER GIVE UP. These people don't care about your desire to learn and contribute to society. All they are concerned is, is how much you can fill the universities treasury. Just my 2 cents.

#858 - 12/30/2005 14:07 PM Re: Problems with Transfer Credits
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
It is a shameful fact that many private colleges and universities will give as little transfer credit to students as they can possibly get away with.

I would go to a Dean or Department head and see if they had the ability to intervene, and if they would be willing to use it. Every credit helps.

However, I see that both Florida State and The University of Florida have interior design programs accredited by FIDER, the Interior Designer's professional organization. Is there any way you can attend one of these schools? Failing that, have you compared programs at the other accredited schools?

#859 - 12/31/2005 06:49 AM Re: Problems with Transfer Credits
bcs2565 Offline

Thank you to the two above people for replying to my post. I guess I should have mentioned that this program is the only accredited one in South Florida (I live in Miami). The next closest are at least 4 hours away, and not really a possibility.

I am planning to contact the department head, who I already know, and hope that he can throw his weight around to help me fix this issue.

Thanks again, and feel free to keep adding advice - I can use all I can get!

#860 - 02/03/2006 21:26 PM Re: Problems with Transfer Credits
Huntington Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I know how you feel. I'm going through similar credit transfer problems. However, you are very lucky that yours only cost $350. It cost over $5100 for me to take two classes (6 credits), as a part-time student. I've been fighting to get some of my credits excepted, so I can finish my degree before my student loan/financial aid eligibility runs out.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.