Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#885 - 01/11/2006 12:10 PM Need help from anyone and everyone!
sberkstresser Offline

Loc: Old Forge, New York
Hi, my name is Steve and this is my 1st post. I am 25 and have been out of college for over 2 years. I don't have a degree because of the fun I had at school. I also don't think it was the right time for me to go to school because I didn't put forth the effort and I didn't seem to care about what I was doing.

I was in this particular school for 5 years going for Special and Elementary Education with a concentration in Math. My final GPA after 5 years was a 2.2 and by the time I started realizing I should get my grades up I had so many credits that all the A's in the world weren't enough to help. At the time, without a 2.5 GPA I couldn't get into the student teaching program and I wasn't helping myself out so I was advised to withdraw from school.

Right now after the 2 years out of school I have been living with my parents and substitute teaching at my old high school, plus some other off and on jobs(soccer and basketball referee, coaching baseball and working for my father doing plumbing and heating).

Although it took me a while to realize it, I now know that I have to get my rear end in gear or else I am going to be stuck in this small town. The reason I have shared all this is to ask this community forum for ideas on what some of my options might be. I feel that because of my grades it will be very difficult to get into school again. I also would like to continue on the path to becoming a teacher. When I went back to inquire at my old college and ask them about getting back inthey said the grades probably wouldn't allow me and the number of classes I need to take would be too much. They suggested going to another school where my "academic troubles" souldn't be a problem. I'm not exactly sure how to go about any of this and I really would appreciate any advice and opinions on the subject that could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for reading my very long story and I look forward to the responses.

sberkstresser

#886 - 01/11/2006 12:46 PM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Good for you, Steve. I am glad you want to stay in education. Good math teachers are hard to come by!

I don't know why you were discouraged from reapplying at your old school, but you should not have any problem being accepted at another. Mature students are a valuable asset to any program, since we are in class because we want to be, not because we don't have any better place to be.

As long as you have your parents' help with room and board, you may also want to look into online programs in the field.

Whatever you decide, just pick out a couple of institutions and apply.

#887 - 01/11/2006 16:33 PM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
catshire99 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I say good ole Junior College. The same thing happened to my son. He had a really good time his freshman year of college. He and I had made a deal. He got one year at a university, but if it didn’t go well, he would move back home and attend the local Junior College…well, he ended up with 14 credit hours after two semesters and a very poor GPA, so he came back home…attended junior college…got involved with the engineering club and participated in a General Motor’s sponsored solar car race. He finished his associate’s in engineering and then transferred to an engineering school in Michigan where he did an internship at G.M. Today he works for a German engineering firm designing power trains and makes more than I ever will. The moral of the story….as I’ve said before…an education is about perseverance. Good luck!

#888 - 01/14/2006 05:02 AM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
sberkstresser Offline

Thank you both for the votes of confidence. At this point I need them. I believe I will get to another school and I just need to know which one would be the best fit for me. My next avenue is that I have to ask some questions of the professor at my old college who laid out my options where I used to go. It was not feasible based on the course load that I would have remaining. Again I appreciate the help and if anyone else reads this post please leave some feedback, thank you.

#889 - 01/16/2006 02:14 AM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
WildEEP Offline

Most probably what they meant by having you withdrawl was this - Most colleges recieve transfer students with their credits, but not their grades. I believe what they will probably recommend is that you transfer into a different college and take your credits with you, then simply start over with your GPA.

Now here comes the bad news - not all your credits will transfer the way you want them to. Some classes will fill the roles at other institutions, but any that dont will wind up as elective credits. You dont lose those credits, but they may not be helpful making forward progress on your degree program at the new college. You may wind up repeating some courses.

So be prepared to ask questions before signing up. Ask them specifically what they'd accept based on your transcripts.

Good luck to ya!

#890 - 02/15/2006 05:33 AM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
sberkstresser Offline

Now I guess my next question would be, what and where is a good place to start looking for schools, and how should I go about choosing the right school? What are some good resources, and should I just jump right in by talking to schools and seeing where I fit in?

#891 - 02/15/2006 17:13 PM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
tt82 Offline

Your best bet would be to find a school that will accept the most transfer credits. Do your homework before you commit. Is it possible for you to go back to the previuos school and retake some of the classes you didn't do well in??? Depending on how many hours you will lose if you transfer, that would probably be a quicker option. Whatever you decide, you will do much better this time around.

#892 - 03/07/2006 07:06 AM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
catherine Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi everyone. My name is Catherine and I'm 21 years old. I have waited nearly 4 years to go back to college. I have a child as well and I feel a little intimidated about going back. I am going to take my entrance exams soon and I am really excited about going back. The only problem is I wish I could've started earlier. Can anyone help me?

#893 - 03/07/2006 09:34 AM Re: Need help from anyone and everyone!
tt82 Offline

Don't worry about what you should have done. All that matters now is that you are going to school. Congratulations!!!!

Stay focused and motivated. We are all here to support you.

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.