Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#897 - 01/12/2006 06:29 AM financial aid
Lynn Offline

Loc: Maine
Hi. Is there any financial aid available to people who have already obtained a degree? I graduted with a BA in media studies about 6 years ago. I'm currently a 3/4 student at my local university in the environmental science program. By working full time I can pay for this as I go along but I'd like to trasfer and maybe go full time. It seems like I only eligible for loans though. Is that true?

L.

#898 - 01/12/2006 11:46 AM Re: financial aid
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
I am sorry, I am not a Financial Aid expert, but the FAFSA website gives this information on eligibility:

To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:

* Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
* Have a valid Social Security number (unless you're from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
* Comply with Selective Service registration, if required (see www.sss.gov for more information)
* Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate or pass an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test
* Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs

Also:

* You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan
* You must have financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans)
* You must not have certain drug convictions

Other requirements may apply. Contact your school's financial aid office for more information.

#899 - 01/12/2006 13:04 PM Re: financial aid
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi Lynn,

This has been addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
http://www.back2college.com/library/finaidfaq3.htm

Many colleges restrict eligibility for their financial aid programs to the first bachelor's degree, while others will waive the restrictions if the student is seeking a second degree in preparation for a career change and/or the second degree program is different from the degree program previously completed. You need to contact the financial aid office of the school you are interested in for information regarding their policy.

#900 - 01/16/2006 02:19 AM Re: financial aid
WildEEP Offline

Welcome to what they don't bother telling us the first time around. Financial Aid for the most part is restricted heavily to your first degree. After that you are on your own. Uncle Sam is all about sending you for an education - but only once.

Do not dispair, there are still scholarships available and there are many state grants you may find available.

The links provided here are a good place for baseline info but I always stress this - Go make friends with the financial aid office and the people in it. They have their ears to the ground much more than anyone else in that realm, they may be able to shed light on a grant or program that is upcoming or that is underused.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.