Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#904 - 01/15/2006 19:21 PM (sigh) what to do, what to do....
DeniseK Offline

Loc: Midwest
Just wondering if anyone can relate to my situation or has words of encouragement.

I'm 25 and I went straight to a 2 year women's college right after high school. Most of my friends have graduated(some with masters degrees) I got caught up in "life", I've lived in 5 states in the past 6 years. I moved to WA to finish school, then my Dad died tragically, so i moved home to Oklahoma, which i hate. I started a theatre program at a private university, took one semester and went to the community college for film/video production. Well, now, i don't think i want to pursue that as a career. I just don't know what i want to do. the only jobs i've ever had have been waitressing and i hate it! I'm so ready to finish my degree, but i keep changing my major. I'm 25, shouldn't I just pick something and go with it? I'll get excited about something for a few days, then it just falters. I've applied to a school in Durango where Native Americans go for free and I guess I'll major in English. I just feel so lost. I don't want to get stuck in a job i hate or the "rat race". I guess I'm just afraid to "grow up".

Thanks for listening.

#905 - 01/16/2006 03:25 AM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Denise, I am sure that if you search for career and aptitude you will find several places where you can take a test online to help you figure out your career path. Or you may be able to get this type of help from your former high school guidance counselor, or someone at a local community college or the college in Durango.

Thinking about the type of career you might like will make it easer to see what course of study will get you where you want to go.

Don't be discouraged because you don't feel a "call" to a particular subject, just follow your interest and your nature, and the future will unfold in the right direction for you.

#906 - 01/16/2006 14:24 PM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....
catshire99 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hey, Denise, I'm 46 and still afraid to "grow up! and I'm still unsure about my major.

#907 - 01/16/2006 17:24 PM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....
DeniseK Offline

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the replys. I guess I"m just super anxious to get a "real" job so I don't have to slave away at restaurants anymore and so I can actually have health insurance and be able to afford groceries and such. As for me always switching majors, it's totally a "grass is greener" complex wink This forum is really helpful and you guys are great. Thanks.

#908 - 01/18/2006 09:37 AM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....

Thanks and keep us posted on your decision!

#909 - 01/27/2006 15:40 PM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....
DeniseK Offline

Well, I haven't heard back from the CO school yet. I'm currently in a great internship (even though I still have about 2 years to go in school), but I'm trying to get a part time job in the field I'm going into. I don't have any doubts about getting into the CO school. But, it's a small town and I'm afraid they won't have as many networking opportunities as the city i live in (which doesn't have a ton, but probably more than the small CO town). I have great resources right now at my internship. I don't know if I want to throw it all away just so I can go to school in the mountains. My other option is to stay here and major in PR with a minor in Film Studies. I want to be a Film Publicist! My internship is at the Film and Music Commission. I just HATE the fact that I'm older than everyone. I have this huge complex right now about "not being like everyone else" and feeling inadequate. I just feel like I'm so behind. I'm trying to get over it. Some days it's okay, some days it just sucks and I want to be done like everyone else I know. frown Oh well, it's my fault for not transferring right away 5 years ago.....At any rate, that's what's going on now.

#910 - 01/28/2006 08:20 AM Re: (sigh) what to do, what to do....

Denise, I'm glad you feel like you've found what you want to do in life. Does having the internship mean you can quit waitressing now?

Sounds like you are being very realistic in your evaluation of the opportunities in a smaller town. Have you checked to see if they have a Film Commission agency there? If it is a scenic, trendy place, they may.

As for your complex about being older...get over it! You are not older, you are better! You have life experience, wisdom, and maturity on your side. You are on your way to being a real professional in your field.

However, you also need to remember that the "kids" you work with don't see the age difference like you do. If you can find ways to relate to and with them then they will think of you as one of them. If you can't, well, it's likely that the difference between you isn't age-related, but is because you wouldn't be naturually inclined to be pals, even if you were the same age.

Age differences only matter if you let them. When I was doing my doctoral coursework, I lived in an apartment complex peopled by undergrads. I thought of them as kids, too, in relation to me. Then I got got to know many of them and found them to be deligtful, interesting company. I stil count one of them as one of my best friends, though there is 25 years difference in our ages.

So hang out with your co-workers at lunch, be interested in their lives, let them talk, listen to their problems, laugh at their jokes (Young folks are truly funny, because they haven't beeh shut down by a need to be appropriate!) You might be surprised at how quickly your perceived differences evaporate.

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.