Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#911 - 01/16/2006 12:31 PM Introductions & Questions
Huntington Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Hi Everyone!

I am an adult undergrad. I had to quit college to go to work, in the 80s, and finally got my A.S. Liberal Arts transfer degree in 2003. Finding my extensive work experience and lack of a Bachelor's degree wasn't enough, I transferred to a 4-year college. Now, have 116 credits under my belt, and running out of time with financial aid.

I have THREE things that I have difficulty, in going back to college, and they are:

1.) Being one of 100 (or less) adult students, over the age of 25, and most of them are in business or medical degree programs.

2.) Trying to pay for college, with financial aid and student loans (which are limited to 4-5 years), but you can only go 1/2 to 3/4 time.

3.) Having to fight with the college about your transferred credits, even though there is a transfer credit agreement between your 2-year college and the 4-year college you transferred to.

My financial aid and student loans run out about 1-2 semesters (depending on how many more transferred credits I can get them to take) before I can complete my needed credits for graduation. It seems that all the financial aid is set up for full-time student planning, and leaves part-time students (like myself) having to search desperately for funds to finish or having to quit until they can afford to go back.

I have an A.S. degree, with all the needed state Gen. Ed. requirements, but can't get the 4-year college to take all of them. Plus, according to them, I have not completed the Gen. Ed. requirements. (ex. I took two astronomy classes w/labs at the 2-yr. college. The 4-yr. college wouldn't take them because "they said" that the 2-yr. college didn't have an observatory like their college does. Not only does my 2-yr. college have an observatory, but they also have a planetarium. Not to mention that a presently famous astronaut is an alumnus. I did get them to finally take those credits, but they still credited me for the wrong courses.)

I am so frustrated. I could just scream. I can't seem to get any help on how to handle these problems. My advisor is a great guy, but I'm his only adult student and isn't sure how to go about getting this straightened out. I haven't gotten a lot of help from my 2-yr. college so far. Although, my past professors have forwarded copies of our old syllubuses to try to help.
Anyone out there have any ideas? I'm getting to the end of my rope. Help!

#912 - 01/16/2006 21:07 PM Re: Introductions & Questions
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
I can understand your frustration, Huntington. It is one most of us have encountered. I don't know why it has to be so difficult when the transfer agreement is in place, but keep doing what you are doing and fighting for those credits.

If you can't get them all transferred, consider taking the CLEP tests in those fields, and get credit that way, less expensively than taking the course over.

If you can add afford to add another class to your load each semester, see if you can find a professor who will let you take it as independant study. It may be possible for you to work it in around youor schedule.

good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.