Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#915 - 01/19/2006 19:34 PM Transition to Full Time Student...scary
helena Offline

Loc: los angeles
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your posts, esp. the posts of the sacrifices you've made to go back to school.

I have been an administrative assistant/general office worker for over 10 years. From 19 to 21 I went to college and earned about 40 units, quit and just worked since then.

In 2003, I continued to work full-time and have taken just 1 to 2 classes every semester. It's been really hard.

I need about 40 more units including my upper division general ed. classes to graduate with a BS. I just got an opportunity to work on campus with federal work study which will be a significant pay cut from the full time pay I am earning. With my savings, student loans, and help from my family, I can make it work and work part-time at school and study full-time. I'm just nervous about the change and sacrifice.

Thank you for any encouragement. I'm scared!

#916 - 01/20/2006 05:28 AM Re: Transition to Full Time Student...scary
tt82 Offline

You can do it. I did it last year. I was scared at first and many people advised against it. Just think, you will be able to graduate in less than 2 years. If you take 2 classes a semester it would take about 6-8 years. Imagine yourself in your dream job making so much more money. You are making a small sacrifice for a life time goal. GOOD LUCK!!!

#917 - 02/03/2006 10:30 AM Re: Transition to Full Time Student...scary
psych1960 Offline

I can totally relate to your posting. In the Spring of 2003 I went back to school full-time at the age of 42. It was the One of the most agonizing yet best decisions I made. I had left college during my senior year in 1981 without graduating ... this haunted me until I finally took the steps to go back. I am happy to report that I got my BS in 2004 and am now contemplating graduate school. I admit that it was not easy and many sacrafices were made but it was well worth it. Best of Luck to you --- GO FOR IT !!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.