Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#92 - 07/08/2004 09:12 AM 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Steph1 Offline

I have been reading these forums and I hope someone will have some advice for me. I am a 35 year old, married mother of 2 young children. I quit my job last year and have decided to go to college and become a teacher. I am scared to death! Mostly because I am afraid of not passing the entrance exam and not being able to afford it. I am really excited that I have finally decided what career path I would like to travel down. I wonder if there is anyone out there who decided on becoming a teacher at a late age who has some words of encouragement. From the messages I have read everyone seems really nice and I would love to talk with someone about going back to school. Thanks so much.

#93 - 07/08/2004 13:47 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steph1:

An uncle of mine went back to college for teaching credentials at the age of 40. He ended up working for two different school systems (also teaching ESL at night for a long time in there) and is comfortably retired with two incoming pensions.

#94 - 07/08/2004 14:06 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Steph1 Offline

Thanks for your reply Frank6. That's great to hear! Here I was worried about the fact that I won't be teaching until I am over 40! Wow! That's wonderful to know. Thanks again for your response.

#95 - 07/10/2004 05:00 AM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
mboston Offline

Loc: boston
Going back to school is the easy part. It can more difficult to make a career change later in life, even with the added degree.

#96 - 07/10/2004 06:06 AM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Steph1 Offline

Very true. I have been substitute teaching, which is what really made me decide to be a teacher, so hopefully I will have my foot in the door. Thanks!

#97 - 07/12/2004 14:38 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
mboston Offline

Loc: boston
Sorry I butted my thougts in. You did ask a very specific question, which I didn't really answer at all.

#98 - 07/21/2004 14:24 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
BllyMdsnLover Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Steph,
Good Luck!! I too am a married, mother of 2, 34 yrs old just going back to college full-time this fall and I am scared out of my wits!!! I have been out of college for 12 years now ( I ahve a yr and a half left) and am so afraid that all the students will think of me as the old fogey. I am also scared that with the added responsibilities of my family (something that wasn't there the first time around) I will fall flat on my face. I think of how I going to get my boys to school, home from school, practices, CCD, football games, maintain a decent and clean home for them and pass all my classes. My aunt did the part-time deal at my age and didn't graduate til she was 47! So there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

#99 - 07/21/2004 14:38 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Steph1 Offline

Thanks! It's great to know that there is someone else out there going through the same thing as I am. What are you going to major in? Good luck to you as well friend!!

#100 - 07/21/2004 17:03 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi to all out there returning to school. I am a 41 year old female with no college. I have been in a job that I do not enjoy for quite some time. I am pretty sure I am going to go to college in the spring. I am planning on taking one class this fall just to get it out of the way. I am terrified. I am not married and have no children. Therefore I have no one to help me thru this. And with the hours that I work it is impossible to return to school. So in the spring I am going to apply for some loans and hopefully recieve enough that will allow me to pay for my education and for my living expenses. And I will probably find something part time. Depending on how time consuming my studies are. Any advice? I am open to hear it all. Thanks for letting me talk.
Tammy

#101 - 07/21/2004 19:19 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Meg Offline

Hello my name is Meg and I need a lot of advice.
My uncle,who is 50 years old, has lived in Brasil for a lot of years and he became a dentist but now he wants to come back here and I want to know how can he get licensed to work here and all about that. I'm clueless and I really want to help him!
If you have any advice please let me know I would really appreciate it.
Thank You!!!

#102 - 07/31/2004 14:53 PM Re: 35, going to school, scared, need advice!
Carlos Offline

Loc: Houston
Hello to the group. I just recently joined this forum and was reading this post. I would consider joining the degreeinfo.com forum as well and consider Distance Learning as a viable alternative. You have alot more flexability and if you are following the bain4weeks.com plan - basically testing out on as many tests as you can to work towards your degree you should have it in considerably less time than if you had gotten your credit by attending classes. Just a thought. I too am going back to school this fall but I am taking classes mostly to take advantage of my VA benefits. I plan on having 2 masters one of course being my MBA and I am still undecided on the second. Just do as much research as you can on the internet. If you want to have an accredited degree - one that will be worth something - you can its only up to you to figure out your plan and follow through.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.