I goofed around in High School and had no real direction so I just went to work out of college and now work as a white collar professional.

I (barely) failed to graduate high school so went and got my GED that Summer just so I wouldn't be a total flop. This was back in '89. After that, I messed around in community college for a couple of years--nothing serious here either. Now, 16 years later I want to get a job designing Web Pages which I already know how to do...but I need a degree to get a job doing it.

What's the first step in going back to school for someone in this situation? Community College? Is it possible to go straight to university with poor H.S. grades from over a decade ago or do they still care about that stuff to hold it against me even now?